Sunday, November 2, 2008

Though My Body Fails

This week I think that Satan has found a place where he can catch me! He must see the work I am doing here and hate it because he is desperate to stop it. Only days after recovering from my bout with pink eye I was hit with a cold. Not just any cold but without a doubt the worst cold of my entire life! I have been brave, I have sucked it up and went on with my days but I am miserable! My sinuses are infected and so swollen that it is viable in the skin under my eyes. My chest is congested and every breath burns. I have a cough that rattles every few minutes and I have a gland on the right side of my neck that is swollen to the size of a grape! I started feeling a little run down and stuffy on Wednesday afternoon and by Thursday morning it had hit full force. I couldn’t even force myself out of bed. Another staff member here has the same virus and compared it to getting hit by a Mack truck, the funny thing is, a Mack truck has actually hit her so I guess she knows what she is talking about! All I know is that I did not get out of bed all day. The only thing that drug me out of Friday was the fact that I had Creole class that afternoon and I knew I needed to be there for that. I did begin taking an antibiotic, which is not something that I take lightly. Hopefully it will start working soon.

After missing a full day with my kids and feeling pretty quiet for 2 others this week was pretty uneventful. One of my little girls F did have a great day on Friday. She has been in such a wonderful mood lately, laughing and smiling and always excited to see me. She is now able to walk up and down the stairs to the balcony all by herself! I took her up on Friday morning and she was in such a good mood that I went and got her for some extra time in the afternoon. I am so glad I did. We spent some great hours together! All of the sudden it was like a switch was flipped and she was walking. Since taking her first steps a few weeks ago she has stalled. Nothing could make her walk after that. Now she has decided to start once again! She walked all afternoon and after supper I brought her down to the living room where, after being bribed with chocolate chips she walked some more. This kid is going to be running in no time!

As of this week 4 of my kids have had the chicken pox. My S Twins, K and J-Man all got them this week. They look pretty miserable, especially K who seemed to have them worse than any other kid here! They all run around covered in calamine lotion with socks taped over their hands! S and S both look like they are almost totally healed. M, my littlest boy had them a few weeks ago so most of my kids have gotten it over with. No one seems to be affected seriously, for which I am thankful!

Yesterday after I started feeling a little better we went to PetionVille to a hotel called the El Rancho. We went for a swim in their gorgeous pool and had lunch in the restaurant. It was a great day of relaxation for everyone and a lot of fun to lie in the sun for a few hours. On the way home we stopped at a grocery store. The biggest I have seen in Haiti. It was almost like walking into North America again walking though those doors. Almost, I bought cheese and grape juice and even some chocolate but I still had to “drive” my cart every aggressively, just like out on the streets. All in all it was a positive way to end the day!

This week I ask, of course, that you pray for my health. I already feel like I am getting better but I am far from the 100% that I need to be to keep up with my kids. I also ask that you pray especially for three little girls who went home to their forever families this week. Please pray for their adjustment in the weeks and months to come. Pray for their parents, that they would have a love for these girls an that they would become a strong family. Also this week I ask that you all pray for my little F. Pray for her physical health and for the strength she needs in her legs to walk. Pray for her emotional health, that she would continue to be filled with joy and that her bond with me and her nannies would grow strong. Pray for her spiritual health, that she would grow up to love Christ. That she would long to seek and serve Him. Pray for her families. Here in Haiti that they would also be brought to Christ through her life. That they would feel joy and peace over their decision to bring her to GLA and pray that they will strive to make a difference in the place where they live. And for her adoptive family, that they would also have a peace about their decision to chose a child from Haiti. That they would have strength during the months of waiting and that when the time does come for them to take her home that they would raise her to love Jesus above all else and teach her to work for Him all the days of her life.

As always, I thank God for each of you in your faithfulness to me in this journey.
Rhyan

No comments: