Monday, October 26, 2009

Sweet Baby Boy,

Today you leave Haiti. It is so bittersweet for me. I am beyond excited and thankful that you are finally going home with your Mommy and Daddy. They waited SO long to bring you into their home! I wish I could see your face when you go into your bedroom for the very first time and see all the beautiful colors they picked out just for you! I just know you are going to be dressed in the most adorable little outfit and sweet tiny shoes. You are going to look just perfect! I wonder what you will think of the airplane ride. Will you think it is fun? Will you be scared? Maybe you will just sleep through the entire thing. You are so unaware right now of how significant this trip will be in your life. Luc, today you leave a very special, beautiful place. Haiti will always be your first home. Your heritage, your history.

I hope that you will always remember what an incredible place you came from. The stories you hear might not always reveal to you the real Haiti. There are a lot of people out there who only want to tell the ugly side but Luc, I want you to always know that there is a beautiful side too. It is the joy on the faces of the people and the cheering that erupts when the plane lands in Port Au Prince. It's the hot smell of the air as you walk down the runway and the singing and dancing that greets you as you walk in the doors. It's the Papita Man with his basket on his head filled with his products. It's the white gate and green building that, for almost 2 years, was the only home you knew. It's nannies holding babies on their hips while singing softly and braiding hair. It's spaghetti with hot dogs for breakfast and fresh sweet mangos every day. It's baths in rubermaid tubs on the balcony and going for walks to Mme Suzettes for tampico.

These are things you probably won't remember Luc, but they are inside you. It was not a accident that you were born in Haiti. God did not put you there and then use your mom and dad to "fix" a mistake. He chose a beautiful Mama to give you life and He chose an amazing Mom and Dad to give you a home. Today you go to that home. You leave one for the other and your life will never be the same. I know that your Mom and Dad have worked very hard to give you opportunities that you never would have had in Haiti and I pray every day that you will grow up to use every resource possible to grow into an amazing man. I know you will.

Luc, you taught me so much and watching your life unfold before me is such a blessing and so humbling. You truly inspire me to be a better person. Your love taught me to take my heart to depths I never knew existed. You will always be Haiti to me.

Tomorrow you will sleep in a bed that has been waiting for you for far too long. And you will leave behind a bed that had held you in love...Both made you who you are and both will be your home.

M' Renmen Ou Patat!
Rhyan


Once there were two women
Who never knew each other.
One you do not remember
The other you call mother.

Two different lives
Shaped to make yours one.
One became your guiding star
The other became your sun.

The first gave you life
The second taught you to live in it.
The first gave you a need for love
And the second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality
And chose your name.
She gave you the seed of talent
The other gave you an aim.

One gave you emotions
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first smile
The other dried your tears.

One gave you up
It was all that she could do.
The other prayed for a child
And God led her straight to you.

And now you ask me
Through your tears,
The age-old question
Through the years:

Heredity or environment
Which are you the product of?
Neither, my darling, neither,
Just two different kinds of love.

1 comment:

anna k said...

I LOVE this poem Rhyan... and you. Miss you, and hope you have a fantastic weekend!