Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jesus Is The Answer

4 days ago I drove through the streets of Petionville. Streets I once knew as well as those of Fergus Falls or Bozeman were now completely foreign. The places I once recognized were gone. I have no words to describe to you the utter devastation I saw. The homes and buildings reduced to rubble. The bodies still buried inside. Entire street blocks wiped away. Places that once towered tall, landmarks on my way home, now are gone. I drove through the streets and I held back tears. I made small talk with the others in the car to keep me from really seeing what was outside my window. I closed my eyes and felt my heart break in half. I looked out the window and saw people going about their business, but where there was always an air of celebrating, amidst all the pain, I now only saw despair. Could it be that the people of Haiti had finally been pushed to the point of breaking. I stared out the window and let the memories wash over me. Could it really have only been 10 days since I drove that same path, through a bubbling city where vendors sold goods in their outdoor market? How could a lifetime fit into only 10 days? As we drove on, and the pain overwhelmed, I stared out my window. I saw shells of buildings and streets lined with people crying for help. We drove past a hospital with patients spilling out onto the sidewalk. As we drove I searched out anything that could give me hope. Finally, out of the corner of my eye, He spoke, I glanced out to the right of the car, up a small hill and saw a portion of a wall standing. All the buildings around were gone. The entire structure that the wall had once made up was destroyed, except this portion. In Haiti, the buildings, trucks and taptaps are often decorated with bible verses or encouraging phrases. This building had been painted well before the quake but the fact that only this small section remained pierced right to my soul. It read "Jesus is the answer". What clearer message could I have asked for. What other message could heal my heart. I want to do so much and yet I can do so little. I am discouraged but then I am reminded, Jesus is the answer. The answer to the pain in Haiti, the answer to the hurt we feel, the answer to where we will now place our hope. Jesus is the answer, for the country broken and those who cry for her. "Jesus is the answer" rising above the blocks and slabs that now stand in a pile, a remainder of what once was, but more importantly a message of what still is. Jesus is the answer.

9 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

A friend of a friend has gone to Haiti- she's a medical person, she and her husband both. She's been documenting her journey through photo-journalism on Facebook and I've been so touched by the images. One, in particular, brought me such hope! A church- barely a shell, pules of rubble. And off to the side, unscathed, unshaken... a large crucifix, standing tall and strong.

I continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing the signs God leaves for us if we just keep our eyes open?

I want you to realize that you do no small things. Everything we do is the biggest, most important thing ever when we are doing God's work. You are helping to build the Kingdom one stone at a time. That is no small work.

Dianne said...

Rhyan,

This is absolutely the most beautiful thing I have read since the earthquake happened. God has given you a gift of writing that is glorifying to Him in so many ways. I was introduced to your blog about a week ago, and have been blessed beyond measure. You are transparent, and the Holy Spirit comes through purely, and it is so refreshing. You are in my prayers.

Dianne

Anonymous said...

Rhyan,
I'm glad you and you little brother made to to MN safely.
You will go back to your Home, As soon as he calls you again and will, It may have changed on the outside but the souls of the people will grow stronge again and they will need you and all the great people like you. When KJ is more comfortable with the family you will have alot of new babies to hold and teach your love.
I'm forever praying to have half of your faith and heart.
Love and prayers
Aunt Teresa Z

lori said...

Tonight I pray for your broken heart too, because you are there as His hands, "bearing one another's burdens." I do not know you but we are sisters in Christ. I will lift up your hands through prayer as you hold the broken people of Haiti. God Bless you
Lori

Nathalie Thompson said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I found your blog through a friend's of a friend's, of a friend's blog.

I am inspired to do SOMETHING.

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Jesus is the answer......

For Haiti......

For us.....

For the world......

He has always been and always will be the answer.


May the King of kings be glorified in Haiti in the midst of the pain & brokeness,

Gloria
<><

Beth said...

that was an amazing sign.. thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great message Rhyan. Remember one of my favorite quotes... All you can do is all you can do. And all you can do is enough... Keep praying and living as His hands in this time...

Rob Rumohr