Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kervens

His name is Kervens. He is Haitian. He is 14 years old. Tonight I spoke with him at our gate. This is his direct quote...
"last year my father became dead and now, my heart is dead too. It is dead because my [Father-in-law] he went down to the city and my sister, she is dead too because a building that was a school collapsed on her. My mother, she was in hospital. All the hospital, they fall down. I know my mother must be dead to."
Kervens is my friend. We met last year while I was here. He used to walk up and down the mountain with me, he speaks beautiful English. This little boy is my friend, and as with any of my friends I wish so badly that by taking him in my arms I could take his pain away, again, I am helpless. I would give anything to help Kervens...

3 comments:

Holly said...

I know him. He walked me and another volunteer down the road a couple times and asked us for shoes and told us of his father. Wow my heart is breaking for him...I'll be on my knees for him tonight.

Abby said...

HI Rhyan-
I know of at least 2 people who want to come to GLA and help. Is that an option yet? If so what should we do to go about that?
Thanks- Abby Hoefer

bobnmel said...

Dear Rhyan
I am so very thankful to know you are there and God has you helping with your love and compassion.
I knew you were leaving so close to the Earthquake date I didn't know if you made it or not...
Kervins and I spoke many times, I have a beautiful picture of him with his sister and an older boy from when we were walkin home one night, maybe you remember, I think you were with us...
I have had dozens of emails responding to a plea I sent out for donations, we are also still in the midst of getting our Valentine fundraiser off the ground... so many emotions and Emma and I are reeling with the pain of it all.
We will just keep praying and believe that God has a plan for a better future for Haiti...
May His strength and loving arms surround you all with His peace.
with all love (and thanks for your stand on the picture issue)
Melanie