Sunday, January 10, 2010

We Have Arrived

We got to GLA this afternoon! The streets were as bumpy as ever and even a little crazier because James took us on a “shortcut” due to road construction. Brandon’s flight had landed a few hours before ours and he spent that time with James touring Port Au Prince! I have to admit I was a little jealous, he saw places that I have never gotten a chance to go to, the Palace, James’ college and a few of his friends houses. He got a real taste of Haiti right away. However I know that there is no way I could have enjoyed those places today! After we were picked up I endured the longest hour of my life! Even the sight of familiar faces of vendors and landmarks did not make the time go faster. To say I was anxious is an understatement. By the time we pulled in the gates the tears had started, I missed out on my first glimpse of home because I couldn’t see beyond them. Lois, Kaeli and Betty were waiting just inside the gates and with them was My Patrick! They had him dressed up in adorable clean clothes and I fell in love all over again. At first he was very quiet. He took one look at me and put his head down on my chest. After that he wouldn’t look at me again and he would not make eye contact! It was so strange to know it was the same baby but to have him so much different that the little boy I knew.
I held him as we visited all the nurseries and I greeted the nannies. It was a loud exciting time, of course I recognized and knew all of the nannies and most of the babies. A few of my little ones, J and Ti Tootoo knew me right away! It was so much fun to see all of those little faces again! I can’t believe how much they have changed! My littlest baby N was just over 5 lbs when I first held her, now she is so grown up! She is in the big nursery and walking! M, my sweet little boy with HIV is also looking great, he has gained weight and is so smart! G-bebe, I believe remembers me too but she was much more reserved in her greeting. I have to think that maybe she has gotten used to people leaving and so she isn’t quite as easy for her to go running into my arms anymore.
When we first arrived Kerdjerns was sleeping and so I didn’t get to see him but after a few hours with Patrick I went upstairs and found him awake and so I was able to bring him down for some treats. He has gotten so tall I can hardly believe it! I brought him some clothes and I don’t even know if they will fit him! He talks to his nanny and she told me he says her name, “Mesi” “Gade” “Ale” and quite a few simple Creole words. He was a little shy with me and wouldn’t talk but I’m sure he will open up soon! As for us, those sleepless airport hours are catching up and we are ready for some sleep! Tomorrow will be a big day getting to know all of our little ones!

4 comments:

Michelle H said...

Wonderful to hear you made it! We've been anxiously checking to see that you made it and hear about those first few moments! I confess a few tears, but thank you for posting and letting us relive it with you!

Catherine said...

Thanks Rhyan for sharing those precious moment... I hope you had a wonderfull first night... Big hug to baby N ;-) well, grown up N should I say...
Blpopatiessings
Catherine

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you all along your trip and stay in GLA.
I miss Patrick so much...
This is a particular day 1 year after he was abandoned...
Tell him how deep is in my heart and thoughts and how I love him.
Blessings
Béatrix

Cheryl said...

Please give 'M' some extra hugs and kisses for me. I have a special place in my heart for that little guy!