Monday, March 8, 2010

In The Eyes Of A Haitian Child

In The Eyes Of A Haitian Child



In the eyes of a Haitian child there is glory,
and the kind of love that words not explain.
The eyes of a Haitian child tell a story,
a story filled with beauty and with pain.


To us the life he lives is unfulfilling,
food is not a standard guarantee.
To us he may be poor yet he is willing,
to go without and have no misery.

Oh the life he lives is one that we all need to try and emulate for our own good.
Oh the life he lives is just a simple kid's but his character is stronger than the world

The kindness he possesses is outrageous,
he loves the Lord with all his heart and soul.


I'll testify his laughter is contagious,
his innocence is worth far more than gold.



In the eyes of a Haitian child there is anguish,
when his tears fall down I cannot help but weep.
We both cry out a universal language
that the essence of the world is not skin deep.

Every time I see him,
he makes me smile.
Cause he's got Jesus in him,
all the while.




His eyes are full of life and he makes me see,
life can be wonderful with human dignity.


The eyes of a Haitian child spoke right to me,
with compassion and with goodness from above.
The eyes of a Haitian child force me to see,
the epitome of living must be love.

"The eyes of a Haitian child tell a story"...If the eyes of a Haitian child were to tell a story tonight what would it be. The story of the death, destruction and pain they have witnessed in their short years? The story of a kind of hunger that you and I could never imagine? The things the children of Haiti have seen in their few days are unimaginable. I could never be strong enought to witness what they have and still go on. But a Haitian child can tell another story too. The story of love, of compassion, of joy. The eyes of a Haitian child can tell a story of God's faithfullness. To rescue and raise up his children!

Since being back in the States I have been blessed to spend some time with several of the children who have come home from Haiti. At every gathering I find myself thinking and sometimes even saying outloud. "he is so Haitian" I am often met with questions over that, what does it even mean "Haitian"? I don't know, I can't describe it. It's just "Haitian". Perhaps it is the glory, anguish and kindness or perhaps it is just the story, held in their eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful.
cathleen

Jana said...

Cannot wait until these kids are old enough to read this and get a glimpse of where they came from in your words! Thanks!

I am the Clay said...

Continuing to lift up the people of Hait in prayer -- that our faithful Father will keep them under the shadow of His wings unto these calamaties have passed.
Psalm 57:1