Friday, May 21, 2010

Dear Kerdjerns

Today I went to Kenscoff, Haiti  the hometown of my little brother. I was there to help distribute 120 bags of aid supplies to the people who live in the area…

This is where you were born…

Kenscoff, Haiti is a town of about 4,000 people located in the mountains above Port Au Prince. It is a 35 minute drive from the  Thomassin area, where I live.

102_9200

The road to Kenscoff is winding and bumpy, dotted with small shacks and vendors.

102_9210

The city center is always busting with activity. Here you can buy pate, plantains, sweet potatoes, fried pork and a lot of other kinds of my favorite foods.

102_9304

The buildings are all painted in bright colors, many of them have bible verses or other encouraging phrases written on them.

102_9289

Although you wouldn’t imagine it, thinking about an island in the Caribbean, Kenscoff can get very cold at times.

102_9205

Before the earthquake most of the people lived in cement houses or buildings made of a mixture of stone and wood.

102_9285

During the earthquake a lot of people lost their homes. They now sleeping in tents outside.

102_9296

The people of Kenscoff lost a lot during the earthquake but they have not lost their spirit.

102_9237

Their eyes still sparkle.

102_9299

Kenscoff was your first home. It is bright, colorful and full of life. It is one on the most beautiful places I have ever been and I can’t wait for you to grow up and see it for yourself.

102_9320

1 comment:

bobnmel said...

what a gorgeous picture of little Nugget, he is such a sweet boy! I can almost smell the food and just by looking at your pics I am transported back to Haiti! I wish I was there with you, but instead I am here, in Canada, and it is chilly today so I pray the beloved Haitians will be warm in the love of Jesus. Give the babies a hug from me
love Melanie