Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Are You My Mama?

One of the ladies on our trip is here to meet her 2 year old daughter, Lucy. The staff here prepared Lucy and the other children for her arrival by explaining to them that Lucy’s new mama was coming to visit her. All of the children were very excited to meet “mama Medjina”

Within the first day everyone including Lucy Medjina, knew who her mama was. For the first day the novelty was very exciting after that it wore off a little. Soon the children began to ask questions about their own mamas. A common question around the house became “eske ou mama mwen?” are you my mama? each of the children would gather around us with their arms up, begging us to hold them and asking, are you my mama? How do you explain to a child that they do not have a mama, they they have to wait. That their friend would be cherished loved and cuddled while they went to sleep alone, again? There is no way I could say that to them. Instead I told them that soon their mamas would come too, and then I prayed that I hadn’t lied straight to their faces.

100_9560 100_9556 100_9551 100_9550 100_9516 100_9508 100_9501 100_1884

I know it isn’t me. I am called to love them but I am not their mother. My job is to fight for them so that their turn will come quickly. My job is to prepare them for that day and for the life they will have. I am not their mother but maybe one of you out there is… Maybe one of you will be able to look them in the eye and say “yes, I am your mama”

If you would like information about adopting a child please visit

http://www.adoptgodschildren.com/

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I wish that I had the means to be each of their mama's! They are all so precious! Thank you for loving them!

Lani said...

Rhyan,

Who would you suggest a Canadian family contact to adopt one of these children? I would love to be mama to one or two of these precious children.

God bless,

Lani

Anonymous said...

Memories I will never forget. Thank you for all you do in Jesus name. It was a true joy to partner with you on this visit.

Love
Stephanie x