Friday, November 26, 2010

A Different Kind Of Thanksgiving Day

Yesterday was sort of a strange one for me. I was in a funk from the moment I woke up. Instead of the smell of roasting turkey and green bean casserole I was greeted with a waft of charcoal smoke. There was no snow to be had in this tropical climate. In Haiti it was just another Thursday. I spent most of the morning in my room working on my computer and imagining what kind of foods my mom was making at home. I felt sorry for myself and to be honest I was really lonely. Being by myself for my first major holiday was much harder than I anticipated.

By noon I was sick of moping around. I decided that I was going to make the best of it, weather I wanted to or not. I recently received a gift of $20.00 t0 spend on a treat for the kids. I hopped on a moto-taxi and took off to the small gas station nearby to pick up some goodies. I found some popcorn and a tin of butter cookies that I knew they would love. When I came home I informed the staff that we would be having a party tonight. I was going to teach the kids about Thanksgiving and we would celebrate being thankful for all of the blessings in our lives.

We had cake leftover from a birthday earlier in the week and that, added to popcorn, goldfish crackers, juice and cookies we managed to pull it off. DSCN1345

We gathered all of the child ren in the school room and I told them all about what Thanksgiving means. Everyone took a turn to say what they were thankful for while I wrote down what they said. The older kids and nannies helped speak for the little ones and by then end we had a huge stack of yellow, orange and red papers filled with visible blessings. DSCN1351 DSCN1346 DSCN1347 DSCN1348 DSCN1349 DSCN1350

One of the nannies led the kids in a beautiful prayer, thanking God for everything He had blessed them with. I felt my tension and sadness start to melt away. As I sat there and listened to them praise I was reminded of the many, many blessings in my life. Like a movie the faces of these little ones, my “family”, played through my mind. “Lord, thank you for lending them to me.”

When the prayer was finished everyone dug in! DSCN1365DSCN1359 DSCN1378 DSCN1372 DSCN1373 DSCN1374 DSCN1376

At the end of the day I thought back over the holidays I have celebrated in my life and I know that even amidst the difficulty and loneliness, this really was the best one yet!DSCN1343

4 comments:

mamamargie said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun!!!!! What a beautiful Thanksgiving!!!!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

What a party, you had more fun than some of us guys here : )
What priceless memories and so special for the Children....you are doing a super duper job Rhyan!
Love ~
Stephanie x

Anonymous said...

Rhyan you are wonderful to give the gift of Thanksgiving to the children. Here in North America so many people find it hard to think of anything to be thankful for... I wish they could all read your blog today. God bless you... I can hardly wait for Emma to come and join you, if that is Gods plan
love Melanie