Sunday, November 7, 2010

Not Ok

Over the course of the day I have become increasingly frustrated with the blogs that I follow. My intent in this post is not to offend anyone but to just rant for a moment. Please, allow it and forgive me for it.

The stores that I have read today from others is Haiti has offered a quick graze of the hurricane they almost had. Everyone else's facebook status talk about the sun shining, life is ok. But that's not the truth in my world right now. Maybe they had only a few rain showers and a bit of wind, maybe life really is back to normal for them. Maybe their kids spent the storm watching movies and having a "party". Well that's great for them but that's not what the picture of my Haiti looks like today.

My kids didn't party the storm away, they were ripped from their cots in the middle of the night and hoisted up onto the roof of our building to avoid being swept away by the wave of dirty water that ran into their home. They huddled and shivered in the rain for hours waiting for a morning, that brought more rain. They watched their food float was contaminated by a river of mud that had over taken them. They watched as their few toys were carried away when the water receded enough for them to go back into the house. They returned to clean up what was left of their lives, again. Once more they experienced something that would break the strongest of us down. I don't know how they do it, I have so much less invested in it than they do and I'm fighting doubt with every ounce of my strength. I have no idea why I left Haiti only to find out days later that 6 of my babies were sent to the hospital with a dreaded illness. I have no idea why I wasn't there when they had to sit in the cold rain for hours. I have no idea why I'm not there to find something for them to eat. I am thankful that there are staff members with them who will do their best to provide for their needs but I can't help but wonder why I am not there too. I cannot fathom a reason for these things to happen while I was called away but I am reminded, somewhat reluctantly, that His ways are not my ways. It's not welcomed with a grateful heart like it should but the knowledge it brings comes from somewhere outside of my emotions.

Haiti was spared from a great disaster that could have been, all of Haiti's tent cities were not flooded and I am so incredibly thankful. BUT, "It wasn't as bad as it could have been" means nothing to the ones who's lives were destroyed, yet again. It doesn't ease the pain of having lost whatever meager life they had rebuilt in the last 10 months. Tonight in Leogane, my kids are hungry. Tonight it is STILL raining. Tonight they are still trapped, unable to make it through the rushing waters that fill the street. There was no "sun shining through the clouds" in their day, only more rain, mixed with tears on the faces of those who still have any left to shed.

I hope this gives you an idea of what life in parts of Haiti is really like tonight. I hope you can feel for a second the passion I have and the reason I have it. I hope it makes you think about your reaction. Is it to say to yourself "Oh, those poor people, what a shame" as you click back to that amazon.com tab. Does it make you pity them? Well that's not the intent. Pity does nothing. Pity disables, pity replaces a person with a problem. They don't need your pity, they need action. Good intentions mean nothing when there is nothing to back them up. For opportunities to help the children of our home in Leogane please visit God's Children In Haiti.

"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we do not know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows we know and holds us responsible to act."
Proverbs 24:12

2 comments:

Emily Suzanne said...

Thank you for being so honest. It is refreshing to hear the truth, no matter how hard. I'm personally praying about how I can dig in even more and not close my eyes in ANY way. I'll pass this post on to others...

Anonymous said...

that quote. that quote is how i feel all the time.
Cathleen