Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ayiti Bel, Day 1

While often times the pain that Haiti has is what people know and see, there is a beauty here that is breathtaking, a type of beauty that makes you stop in awe.

Today is January 1st… 12 days away from the first anniversary of a moment that changed everything I have ever known. For the next 12 days, I will have to work hard to keep that from invading my every though. In the last year I have shown you Haiti through my eyes. I have told you stories and shared photographs of every day moments that have built my life. I fear that too often I told a sad story, that I focused on the ugly. For the next 12 days I commit to showing you a different side of this place that has captured me.

Allow me to show you the beauty of Haiti.

One of the things I find most beautiful in this land is the mountains. IMG_0092

View (36) IMG_0238 View (74) IMG_0669 IMG_0694 (2)

Did you know that the original name for Haiti (Ayiti) means mountain. Their claim to fame were these majestic peaks. The very thing that drew Christopher Columbus to this land and made it his favorite is one of my favorites as well.

1 comment:

Brittnei said...

atta girl Rhyan! I look forward to the next 12 days because I bet we have a couple things in common. sending some love your way xo