Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Hero

During canaval I had the honor of meeting and spending a few minutes in conversation with Martelly, one of the Haitian presidential candidates and Wyclef Jean, a Haitian-American singer.

I was, of course excited to meet 2 well known “celebrities” and I’m sure I made a bit of a fool of myself with whatever it was that came out of my mouth. Thankfully, they humored me.

DSC02441SONY DSC 

Not much later I visited with a woman who introduced me to her 2 year old little girl. She told me how she walked up and down the mountain every day to sell fruit. With the few gourdes she makes, she buys rice to feed her baby. She showed me where she goes to collect water by the bucket-full and where they use the toilet. She smiled and laughed as her daughter hid her face when I caught her eye. She eluded grace, joy and confidence. She shined. She was a star.

DSC02491

Many of you who will read this know who Wyclef Jean is. Not many of you know the name Meyann Mitchel. She is not a celebrity, she is not famous in this world but when her baby girl looks at her, her face lights up, when her mama walks by she jumps with excitement. She is a hero, to her daughter and to me.

1 comment:

mamamargie said...

A mama is a true hero. Let us not forget that.