Monday, April 25, 2011

Sota

With everything going on the last few days I have been horribly neglectful in keeping you all updated about our little Sota.

DSC03405

That’s right, you all voted and even though I rebelled and called her “Charlie” for about 2 days, she’s a Sota.

Unfortunately, she’s not quite as laid back as she was on day 1. In fact, she’s a bit of a spit-fire. She LOVES socks… no matter how many toys I provide I am constantly chasing her down and rescuing whatever sock she has managed to steal! She keeps me on my toes!

DSC03411

When we get to Haiti, Sota will be an outside dog! Here in Minnesota that’s a little more difficult. I can’t leave her outside all night with the temperatures that we have been having.

This “outside dog” is getting pampered wickedly.

Each and every one of you who know me IRL* can gasp now… Sota sleeps in my bed! For real. I am so not an animal person. I like them ok, but that’s it. I don’t want their hair on my clothes, I don’t want them staring at me while I eat and I especially HATE when they lick… it’s just so gross! For some reason, when it’s a tiny little furball thing it’s not so bad. :) Maybe I’m just getting to be a softie.

*In Real Life

DSC03472

Thankfully, Sota is super smart! She has learned to sit, shake and wait for permission to eat at meal time, all in the last week. You would think that would mean she could figure out not to pee on the carpet, we’re still working on that one. ;)

I’ve been reading up on German Shepherds and I am SO glad that I chose this breed! They are super smart, very protective and great with kids… all things that are necessary for her to survive and thrive in our house. Hopefully, just her size will be enough to intimidate any potential troublemakers, her dad is over 6 feet tall on 2 legs! So far she has gained almost 2lbs. We’re going to have  a big girl!

DSC03391

I have also learned that German Shepherds show the most potential of any dog breed at detecting and alerting to earthquakes before the fact. There isn’t any proven way to train a dog for that, and it’s a very far stretch to think she might actually become our “earthquake alarm” but hey, a girl can dream. I’ll tell you one thing, should she impress me with that talent she can sleep in my bed no matter how big and stinky she gets! ;)

As difficult as this little puppy is right now, demanding and always getting into something, I know that she will be well worth the work. The security she will provide for us will be priceless, hopefully the memories the kids have of her will be too.

All I can say is that, in spite of my best efforts, I’m finding that I actually kinda like this dog…

1 comment:

stephanie said...

This looks like a perfect match.....and I think she's pulling on your heart strings, especially if she's sleeping in your bed!!! Sota, your gonna have a great life in Leogane, Haiti. x