Monday, October 24, 2011

What’s Up With Gup

My Gup is now 2 years and 8 months old, I can’t believe how much he is growing up!

When I left in June he was barely taking his first steps. Now he walks and almost runs everywhere. He will sometimes still crawl if he wants to get somewhere really fast. He loves to play “fetch” bringing me one of his toys and having me throw it and running after to bring it back. I wasn’t so sure about it at first but I figure if it makes him happy then why not?

DSC05647

Gup as also finally decided that he likes Sota. He’s not even a little scared of her anymore and will stand on the porch and pet her and yell at her when she is doing something she isn’t supposed to. He also loves the new kitten we got. I am not a cat person myself but after the mouse in the kitchen incident I broke down and got us a kitten. Right now he is just a little bitty thing but hopefully soon he’ll be hunting away in the yard. We call him Mimi and Gup loves to play hide and seek with her and carry her around by her head.

 DSC05720DSC05706

Although he’s still very small for his age Gup is getting bigger and gaining weight well. He now weighs 22.8lbs and is wearing a size 12 – 18month clothes. He loves to eat  and we are working on eating more slowly and remembering that there will be more food later. His portion sizes are finally starting to look a little bit more normal for a 2 year old and not a grown man.

DSC05775

Gup has adjusted so well to being back home. In fact, I was pretty amazed at how well he has done. He is sleeping in his own big bed in his own room for the first time and hasn’t fallen off in over a week! He sleeps, mostly through the night with a few exceptions every once in a while. He is also working on potty training and it is going very well! He loves feeling like a big boy and I love not having to change diapers! For the last 2 days he has been totally accident free with a diaper just at night. I’m praying that streak continues!

IMG_0010

The other day he had his thumb shut in our porch gate and the poor little guy was in a lot of pain. I felt so awful for him. Nothing is broken though and we have the blessing of Tylenol to help ease the pain. Aside from that his health has been great, a bit of a cold and still having his staph outbreaks but nothing like we saw in June.

DSC05529

Gup’s language skills have exploded in the last 2 weeks. He is now speaking in both Creole and English and when I say something to him in one language he will sometimes repeat it in the other. He understands full commands in English and repeats almost everything you say. His words are so cute and it’s great to finally have some communication with him.

DSC05551

Gup is such an animated and precious part of this house and my life. I am amazed each and every day I spend with him, how much of a blessing he is to me!

SONY DSC

2 comments:

rainbowgirl93 said...

Rhyan, so great to get an update on Gup! Can't wait until the day comes that I can meet him wheather it be in MN or Haiti! He is such a handsome little man and sounds like he is doin great...but then again why wouldn't he with such a great mom like you :) Praying that he continues sleeping through the night (and without falling off the bed) and that potty training continues to go well!

Much love,
Brittany Schlichting

Lumiya said...

He is absolutely precious. Don't worry so much about his weight, Amie was about his size at 3 years old. It's hard to not fear for your baby but as long as he has quality nutrition he'll gain weight. Let me know what address to send some things to you, I've got a box full to ship out. Xoxo, Athena
Lumiya2643 (at) gmail (dot) com