Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Then Sings My Soul

It seemed like it happened so fast. I met this tiny baby boy, brought him to my home and held and loved him for just a moment. He was precious and watching him get well was like watching a baby age in fast forward. One morning we woke up and he smiled and laughed, his coos and giggles filled the room and I knew in my heart he would live.

And then just like that, I got a phone call. The voice on the other end declared “it’s the best case scenario” I was shopping and shamelessly burst into tears. I had planned to try to search for this “abandoned” baby’s family but hadn’t even made a single step in that direction yet, he was still brand new. It turns out I didn’t need to... His parents were there, at my front gate. They came for their baby boy, they wanted to parent him! That morning they had shown up on my doorstep, having heard that Jonelson was with “the blan”. It was the first time his mother had seen him since he was 37 days old. She had been crippled by severe post partum depression. Living in one of the rural villages of the most remote area of Haiti the family felt they had no choice but to leave their precious son in the care of an orphanage. For over 4 months he went back and fort between orphanages and hospitals until that day God saw fit to bless me with his care.

Jonelson’s mama and papa were absolutely beautiful! I loved them from the moment I sat down at the kitchen table to meet them. They explained that this was the first time mama had been able to get out of bed and make the journey to come visit her son. She told me it felt like “the fog was starting to leave her head”. When his parents saw how well Jonelson was doing they were eager and excited to take him home and resume life as a family. I saw the pain that being separated had brought each of them. I saw the way Jonelson looked at his mother’s face, I know that he had longed for her since the day they had been separated. They were meant to be together and I was willing to do everything in my power to make sure it could be so. I purchased formula, clothes and blankets and packed up a bag full of toys and diapers to send on the 6 hour journey through the mountains to their village. I asked our Haitian nurse to pray while everyone in the house gathered around this precious family. What followed was a beautiful prayer and then  an impromptu song of praise. Through my tear filled eyes I caught a peek of a young father cradling his son stopping for a moment to press a kiss into the baby’s temple, his voice rang clear…

Oh Lord my God
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds
Thy hands have made
                               DSC09719
I see the stars
I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout
The universe displayed
                               10351612_324824884337654_5017024719659299536_n
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great thou art
How great thou art
DSC09714
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
DSC09722
And when I think of God
His son not sparing
Sent Him to die
I scarce can take it in
Jonelson 6 Months Old
That on the cross
My burden gladly bearing
He bled and died
To take away my sin
DSC09838
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great thou art
How great thou art
DSC09734
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
DSC09893
When Christ shall come
With shouts of acclamation
And lead me home
What joy shall fill my heart
DSC09903
Then I shall bow
With humble adoration
And then proclaim My God
How great Thou art
DSC09900
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
DSC09902
Then sings my soul
My Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
DSC09899
As I led the family out the front door and they headed down the street I looked after them and had to smile. The back of his father’s shirt declared the prayer of my heart. Look to the Son, baby Jonelson! Nou p’ap janm bliye ou.
DSC09911
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
Jonelson

2 comments:

Melanie Lloyd said...

Beautiful!

GA Foster Mom said...

God is Amazing! Thanks for what you do in Haiti.