Monday, February 23, 2015

Look What God Did!

UPDATE: $2,100 HAS BEEN DONATED TOWARDS THIS NEED!! I STILL NEED TO RAISE $3,000 TO PAY RENT FOR 2015. 

I feel like God might be really sick of me. I know it doesn’t work that way but if I was Him, I’d be really sick of me!

I am constantly in this battle of trust vs self and it’s wearing me down. I don’t want to move to Belle Anse, this self in me doesn’t want to leave my home that I have built for me and my babies. I fight and I cry and I argue and in response He slips in these almost constant confirmations that indeed, this is His plan, in spite of weather it matches up with mine or not.

I went on this last trip to Belle Anse to see a house that I was planning to sign a lease on. I. Was. Terrified. I had seen photos and even though I knew that God would provide and I would eventually be able to turn it into a home, it was far beyond how I even wanted to attempt to live. I went, praying over and over that God would give me a good attitude and a vision for this place that He was asking me to call home.


This is a photo that was sent to me the week before I left to sign my lease. 

You guys, I tried, I promise, I TRIED to be excited but mostly I just cried, a lot. I believe that God is calling me to Belle Anse and I know that I will be stretched and changed through my time there. I know that it is going to be different than here. (where I live in the cool mountains with my internet and tv and ability to have 5 different kinds of food delivered to my front door) I know this, but I felt like He was asking too much. This was just too much.

When I arrived in Belle Anse I went to see the house and again, I tried to be positive. I looked for ways that I could fix it up and make it feel like home, mostly I just felt overwhelmed. I walked away knowing that I had a place to live, something that I had needed to establish for a long time, but I walked away discouraged and questioning God if He really, truly knew what He was doing. Again, even though He’s proven Himself over and over, I began to doubt.

So there I was, walking down the street, sweating my ass of, acting like a brat and pissed at God, it was not my finest moment folks! I figured I had been looking for a house for so long that there couldn’t possibly be any places that I didn’t know about but I decided that just in case, I would grab a local moto taxi and ask him if he knew of any houses for rent. He said he did so we took off. The first place he stopped at was a total no go, I didn’t get any further than the front yard and told him that wasn’t what I was looking for. A few more places and my heart began to lift, just a little. I was seeing houses I could actually picture myself living in. I still wasn’t excited but I was getting a little less crabby. A few hours later I needed to get back to town so I thanked him and asked him to please let me know if he heard of any other rentals available and I would be in touch about the places we had seen. I went to the local bar to grab some lunch for Annabel and a cold beer for myself because I swear, it was at least 100 degrees and I just wanted to go hide in the dark. So while I was busy being stubborn, tucked away in a corner bar, God decided for some reason I still can’t wrap my head around, He wanted to bless my ugly, rotten heart...

The beauty [and curse] of a small town is that everyone knows everyone’s business. Add in the fact that I was one of a total of 5 white people in the entire city, it didn’t take the taxi driver long to track me down. He excitedly told me that he had just spoken to someone who had a “very beautiful” house that he would be willing to rent to me. I learned a long time ago that my idea of very beautiful and a Haitian’s idea can sometimes be vastly different but I had described to him pretty clearly what I was looking for and so I hopped on the moto, filled with only a tiny bit of apprehension and off we went.

You guys, I can’t even! This place was IT. It had every single thing that I had wanted! I can’t even describe how I felt as I walked from room to room and into the perfectly shaded back yard. Yes, the only working “bathroom” was the outhouse in the corner but the amount of potential was incredible. The absolute kicker for me what the fact that the house had a separate 2 room building in the back that will be perfect for the teacher/nanny that is coming down to help me with my kids. Seriously, what are the odds that a place would have that super specific thing that I was hoping for? Nil, nothing! I am telling you there were absolutely no odds involved, this was all God!

I knew that I had one more hurdle to pass and that was negotiating on the rent. It was clear to me that this was by far the nicest house I had seen and one of the nicest in town. The owner was surely going to try to rip me off and even though I knew that God had handpicked this place for me, I had absolutely no energy or desire to start negotiating down from an outrageous price I just *knew* the landlord was going to quote me. Prices on everything seem to triple the second my white face shows up so I was sure I was in for several tense hours of trying to reach a fair agreement. I said a little prayer barely more than a breath, that if this was the house God wanted for me He would just let me have it without the roller coaster of emotions that come with negotiating in Haiti.

Before setting out for Belle Anse I had figured that I could afford $5000usd for rent for a year. I knew that after the first year, when a lot of work would need to be done to get the house ready for me, the rent would go down a little. I was hoping to sign a 5 year lease, paying a max of $5000 a year for the first year and $4000 a year after that. I left, waiting for the landlord to send via the moto driver turned real estate agent, his initial price. Trying not to be nervous and tense I thought that a walk down to the beach would help pass the time. Before I could even make it a block the moto driver appeared to show me a number he had typed out on his phone and I almost fell over right there on the side of that dirt road. His first price, fully expecting me to counter offer, was $5600! I was expecting it to be significantly higher than that! I was thrilled but tried to play it cool, you know, like you are supposed to when negotiating. I came back at an even $5000 and off went Mr. Moto on my behalf. Just a few blocks later, as the beach came into view he was back again. He told me that the landlord has agreed to $5100, his final offer. Done. Done and done! Only $100 above what I had hoped to pay and for a house far beyond what I could have dreamed to find. The entire negotiation took less than 20 minuets.

The trip accomplish exactly what it needed to, I now have a place to live and have once again been totally reassured by God that this is 100% no doubt exactly where He wants me to be.

So, you wanna see?? I bet you do and I’m super excited to show you. Look at the house God gave me in Belle Anse!


*Isn’t it the cutest Caribbean house ever? I can’t wait to paint and get it all fixed up and turn it into a home for our little family!

I realize that most of my posts about moving to Belle Anse sound like it is this horrible place filled with all sorts of awful things. That is not the case, at all. Belle Anse is gorgeous, it is filled with amazing people and some of the most incredible rugged beauty of nature I have ever seen. It’s not Belle Anse that scares me, it’s the unknown and the complete giving up of the control that I’ve convinced myself I have. It’s the newness and not being able to hide in anonymity of a neighborhood that is so used to foreigners that they barely even blink when I pass by. It’s the idea of being far away from the security of a pediatrician who I trust with my children’s lives. It’s fear that all boils down to the fact that I don’t want things to change. I like the way things are and I am desperate to hold onto this little life that I have created. Letting go of that idea of control screams and fights against everything that is natural to me but it’s such an obvious work that God is doing. I still fight, that won’t change overnight but I am going to move to Belle Anse in full confidence that one day soon I will be really glad that I did.

So, here I go again, asking you all to come alongside me and to believe with me that God has called me to be in Belle Anse, Haiti. I’m not even nervous at this point. There is not a single, tiny little bit of doubt in my mind that God is going to provide everything that we need to rent this house that He has given me and He is going to use you all to do it. The amount of faith I have in His provisions and in the incredible generosity of my amazing supporters leaves no room for anything but pure anticipation of how, not if, this will work out.

I need to raise $5100 as soon as possible to pay rent and allow the landlord to start doing the work that needs to be done in order for my family to move to Belle Anse on April 1st (i.e. putting in a toilet!). It can happen, I just know it! I am leaving to return to Belle Anse next Sunday, March 1st. I need to have at least $2,600 in my hands to give to the landlord so that he can start working, I will need to pay the remaining $2500 before the 1st of April. Nothing is impossible, I believe that God will use even this fundraising plea to blow me away and remind me yet again, how undeniable this call is.

If you are able to donate to this need you can use this paypal button. All donations are tax deductible and will go directly towards paying rent for 2015. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for being a part of this journey that continues to blow me away.

1 comment:

Haiti News said...

Good Job, hope to raise everything